Friday, January 1, 2010

Hospice Quilt 2010

One of my quilt groups does a quilt for a Hospice fundraiser every year. Norma is in charge of this and she choose the fabric, distributed it. We all put together 2 or 3 blocks and then we returned them to her.
In a twist of fate, Norma was diagnosed with Cancer in the process and started Chemo a couple of weeks ago. She asked if I would put the quilt top together. I was knee deep in trying to keep 40, 5 year old busy all day, but took it and asked my friend Dixie to help.
She is the architect of this quilt. I went over the other day to help her put in the center, and made 3 more blocks for the corners. She gave it to me so I could do the final press. I decided to put on one more boarder. It is lovely and shows what team work can accomplish.


One of the things I love about this quilt is that 5 of the blocks are made from the same pattern. This is the disappearing 9 patch. It is an easy block and comes out very different.


2 comments:

Dianah said...

The quilt is beautiful. I love the disappearing 9-patch block. I have never seen the setting with the border and large center square. Very Cool.

R. L. Hall said...

What a beautiful piece of art. I hope it fetches a pretty price to aid with those with cancer. Quilters are obviously compassionate as well as passionate artisans.