Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cruel and Unusal Punishment

My daughter came home from a long Saturday of playing soccer hurt. She hurt her hand, it really did look broken, so we started the ice, 20 on - 20 off, pain meds, and wrapped it up. It still did not look so good on Monday, so after spending 1/2 hour on the phone trying to get her into my sons orthopedic surgeon, took her to the hospital for an x-ray. It looked broken to everyone at the hospital, but it was not. Must be bruised. What were my instructions? ice, pain meds (same ones we were taking) and wrap it up.

Now I know that some of you think that all children's injuries should be rushed to the hospital asap. Here's the thing, I have never had a doctor tell me that. I had a doctor tell me he was so busy, that he couldn't cast for two days. I had to take a child back two days later for a cast that I did rush in, because it was too swollen, but never did anyone tell me, you should have been here sooner. Even when we were 3 weeks late. Why do I wait? If you go right in, you have to make another trip to cast anyway. I hate hospitals because I think there are too many germs there. And most important, does it really matter?

2 comments:

miz lizzie said...

Yes it really matters to your children. I'm sure they will feel alot better when you get your Ph.D.
I'm laughing so hard, I've got tears rolling down my face. Dianah is too. But Just exactly what we expected. Glad you're saving lots of money on hospital and doctor visits. Glad you know me well enough to get this sense of humor.

Bauer Family said...

I couldn't agree more! The only reason we took Spencer in that night.. dare I say..... out of fear of being a bad Mom!!LOL