Thursday, June 11, 2009

What is a trek?


Well, a trek is an reenactment event. Everyone dresses up like a pioneer and walks around the mountains for a few days acting like pioneers. This is teach sacrifice and appreciation for what our forefathers did. This was a huge event, with 100' s of kids and leaders. They loaded up in a few dozen vehicles and car pooled to the South Hills. I go pick them up tomorrow. Treks are very popular in Utah and Idaho.
I am not a fan of the trek. If God wanted me to be a pioneer, I would have been a pioneer. Some of the supplies on the list made my jaw drop, i.e. Gatorade sticks, so they would be hydrated, or Gold Bond Powder. Whatever, I am sure they are having a lovely time.
Now that I have said this, you should know that I made my family walk to Martins Cove in the middle of Wyoming. We were not dressed up. The walk was hot and the Wyoming wind blew at our faces. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. We watched antelope cross the trail in front of us. We crossed the Sweetwater River and we felt a reverence when we sat near the field where so many pioneers were buried because of an early winter storm.
So, I am not sure what to think, but I am interested to hear the stories when I get the kids tomorrow.

2 comments:

Vecchiocane said...

Yeah, I agree with your ambivalence about treks. Just being at Martin's Cove and pondering what happened there and all along the trail from Winter Quarters to thevalley is a sobering thought. The day Martha and I were there the wind felt about hurricane force (if they covered Wyoming with wind generators, the U.S. would be energy independent) and it rained on us; we thought we were going to freeze to death.
I think trekkers should also be required to live on a cup of flour a day and cook it over a cow pie to add reality to the rest, but I suspect that would violate several laws, not to mention being very un-PC.

Dianah said...

Lisa I'm with you. If God wanted me to trek I would have been born been for the Corvette was invented. The most I am going to trek is the Gilroy Outlet Mall, they have cute purses and shoes! Good luck Callie.