Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rhubarb


This year I learned something new. If you water your rhubarb it grows, really big. With all the rain and having the rhubarb in the garden it has grown. I am trying to think of ways to use it.

We did muffins today. I am a fan of muffins. It has introduced my children, namely Richard, to many veggies he would never have otherwise known. To this day when he sees a zucchini, he says, "muffins".

Here is the recipe I used today.

Low-Fat Rhubarb Muffins
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp oil
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
Combine and mix well
Stir in:
2 Cups finely diced rhubarb
1 cup buttermilk (You can add a Tbsp of vinegar to milk)
Add combined dry ingredients:
2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Fill muffin tins and bake 15-20 minutes at 375. Makes about 18 muffins

2 comments:

Andy and Saramarie Bourne said...

Yum, those muffins sound good. Rubarb is suprisingly delighful in baked goods. Andy's mom makes a killer strawberry rubarb pie.
And speaking of zucchini, I got the recipes you mailed me. Thanks so much! I haven't tried them yet, hopefully soon I will find a minute to try them out. thanks again!

Neighbor Keith said...

And when Scott sees soap, he says, "Underwear!"