Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring in Idaho

As I look at my window, I am amazed that my back yard has come to life. Just two months ago it looked more like a bowl of ice cream than a yard. This is truly a miracle and it makes Spring more significant, not to mention, bright and happy.

There are a few things that happen in Idaho that are unique. First of all, if you are a farmer, you have your kids go out in the fields and pick rock every spring. This practice known as 'rock picking' comes about yearly because in addition to potatoes, grain and sugar beets, we also grow rocks in Idaho.

The word green is a verb here. You here phrases such as, "The grass has greened up nicely" or My yard is greening up.' And my favorite, "That will green right up." I am happy to report that things are greening up nicely.

Now that things are greening up, people have to go out and clean their yards. I'm not sure what we did to our yards in California, but I never remember cleaning the yard. This, cleaning the yard, is an endless process. First you clean and then the wind blows all day and you do it again, and again and again.

I feel so lucky to have 100's of bulbs planted because when they come out of the ground, the green offers hope. Not only hope that the cold, frozen winter will end, (still waiting) but a hope that there is a God who will take care of us, not only in this life, but the one to come.

No comments: