Sunday, May 29, 2022

End of the Year.


Here they are. What a year!  No subs and copy machine issues that made you want to cry. Let's not forget that we dropped all Covid protocol and they got Covid and every other virus you can think of. 

I started working with this family when they came from Mexico. I still remember that four of them came in a little truck. Mom was 8 months pregnant, Dad and his brother and a seven year old girl.. I have been lucky enough to work with all 4 girls. I love this little family. 


This kid came to class in August alone. His mom put him on the bus. Great kid. Speaks and reads English better than anyone in the class.  Mom only speaks Spanish.  Truly amazing. 


This kid made the most growth. Its amazing what a mind can do if you stop playing video games every minute of every day. 

My White kid. I love this kid and am thankful that his parents kept him in my class. Great sense of humor and compassionate to all around him. 

The other thing they all have in common is that they are alive.  The last week of school is always extremely stressful, but add an Elementary School shooting in the county and it brings you to your knees.

The shooting in Texas was a series of little mistakes that on another day wouldn't have mattered. Leaving a door propped open...not hearing the lock down call because of noise from a movie. These things just happen. 

The scary part for me was the police response. A small town. Sorry, I live in a small town and work in a smaller one. I know that law enforcement is young, inexperienced and grossly under paid. It's horrifying to know that they would be in charge during a crisis. 

As for guns. Well, it's no secret that I don't think anyone needs an automatic weapon. I also believe that guns kill people. Sure, people use them to kill people, but if people didn't have them it would be hard to shoot someone in the face and go to a school and kill a classroom full of kids and their teachers. I'm not apologetic for my thoughts; guns kill people.

I ask myself this question often. How do people who cry Right to Life also cry Don't take away my right to own a Gun? They both end life. 

One last thought. Educators should not have to worry about being shot. Kids should never have to worry about being shot at school. We teach reading and kindness. Schools are not a threat to anyone so why is it that every single morning , before I get out of my car, I pray for peace in the minds and hearts of my kids, their families and the community? 

God bless those families who have lost precious lives this week and God bless those who risk their lives to teach and learn. 
 


No comments: