Sunday, February 18, 2018

School Shootings

It would be a lie to say that school shootings don't effect every school in America.
It kinda takes the wind from under your wings and it takes a day or two to recover.

Do I have thoughts?  You Bet.  Here are a couple. 

1.  We have got to get the NRA out of the pockets of our lawmakers.  They own them.  Nothing resembling common sense will ever happen until this happens.  Like guns or hate them, the truth is, countries that don't have school shootings, have gun control. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one needs a gun that was designed for mass shootings.

2.  Mental Illness....it is fascinating.  I have done considerable reading on why there is so much anxiety, depression and other forms of mental illness in this country. My conclusion is there in no end in sight.  We can't blame school shootings on mental illness, it is, however, a component.  Kindness, empathy and compassion are important qualities in any civilized society.

3.  I heard this week that school shootings have something to do with people not liking schools. ?????  To that I say, let's stop making kids who do not excel feel like they are failures. Not everyone is going to be above average.  It is okay to be average.  In fact, average people are lovely people who do most of the work in our world.  Unrealistic educational expectations are a waste of time.  Let's celebrate every victory.

I'll go into my classroom tomorrow without fear, with love for each student, and do my job. 
God bless all those who are dealing with the loss of their friends and family. 

No comments: