Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Bitter Pill

I have taken a job as a long term sub for a Kindergarten teacher who just had a baby. It is this districts policy to only let certified teachers do this, but since the teacher asked for me and there just aren't that many certified teachers willing to work at a sub's salary, I am working.

Well today I had to send home a letter from the district informing parents that I am not a certified teacher and that I am not 'highly qualified'. This is all true, but there are a few things that I would like to add to the note at this time.

I am qualified to long term sub in the state of California.
I have passed the testing and have more units than the teacher I am subbing for.
I work very well with children, due to 24 years of experience and a minor in Child Development.
The district will have to 'lay me off' for one pay period, because doing this job, although not 'highly qualified', means I have worked too many hours --state ed code.

Okay, I feel better, but someone please tell me why I agreed to this.

2 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

What it comes down to is...they shouldn't have hired you in the first place and caused the issue. I'm sure you are a great teacher though!

miz lizzie said...

We are either workers or administration. We either play by the rules or make the rules. And we when we don't like the rules because they don't make sense it just plain sucks because....we don't get to make the rules.