Sunday, July 9, 2023

Visiting my Parents



What an experience it is to watch my dad go through the end of life process. He has been in an Assisted Living Facility since April. He has moved to the Skilled Nursing section as he has continued without progress. 

My mom goes up to visit every day...for fifteen minutes. That is a process in and of itself.  A slow shuffle to the car, getting in the car. Getting out at the Facility and getting in the wheel chair. Checking in. Fifteen minutes with my dad. You never know what you will get from my dad. He always recognizes her. He has no idea where he is, what he has done, or if he has eaten. Then it is back to the car. 

I hate going there. I have said my good-byes. It is the hardest thing to do. I don't want to be old. 
 

This is how I want to remember them. Before the stroke and pneumonia that took away his memory.  I understand what is going on, but I don't really like it. 

I'm grateful to be able to go to California and help when I can. I see the hand of the Lord in this process. I feel His Peace. I know God lives a waits for us to come home. 


No comments: