Sunday, February 12, 2012

Like a Dream

Last week a friend of mine passed away. Harry Jay Chand Jr. - Obituary, Lehi, UT - Utah Obituaries | ObitsUtah.com
I was really good friends with he and his wife, so I wanted to go to the funeral. Now the problem is that they live in Utah. I don't get a day off for a friends funeral, but I felt the need to go and knowing that I could spend a couple of hours with my kids, talked Wes into going.

I was thinking this morning how his funeral was so uniquely his.
When we walked in the prelude was done by a male organist, who did a fine job, but I think he stared at the first hymn in the hymn book and just kept going he finished at #113, Our Savior's Love. It was pretty, just not the usual prelude music.

The opening Hymn was Hymn #252, Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel. Not your usual funeral music, but so Jay.

His son, who is on a mission in the Independence Missouri Mission had been flown home and he gave an awesome life sketch. I can't imagine doing that at that age, but it was funny and we all felt a little more love for him. Harry is probably back being a missionary as I write this.

Their was a musical number, Hymn #319, Ye Elders of Israel. It was a piano solo. Very well done.

After the more traditional funeral -- the plan of happiness-- talks, the closing hymn was Hymn #136, I Know that My Redeemer Lives.
There was a large congregation there. His daughters soccer team came in their jerseys, and it was a perfect tribute to their coach. He will be missed by all.

Afterwards we went to see our kids in Provo. Keith and Courtney were in town for a conference, so we got to see the Goose. We took her for a walk. When I say we, I mean, Keith, Courtney, Katelyn, Callie, Wes and I. I might add that only at BYU would this look perfectly normal.

The weather was beautiful. We didn't wear jackets, the sun was out, and I thought it was spring.
After a visit with my brother, we went for dinner. Todd joined us. The place had free soft serve. My family had one before dinner and a couple more after. I was happy to spend the time with them.

Then we came home to Idaho. We woke up to a perfectly gloomy, cold day. It was as if the day before had been a dream. Was it real? I think so.

All the music I mentioned can be found here http://www.lds.org/cm/catalogsearchalpha/1,17929,4782-1-1,00.html


No comments: