Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01-9/11/11

I asked my children what they remembered about 9/11.  I was surprised by their answers.  So this is for them, what I remember.

  • We were living in California.  It was on the news and remember thinking that it was wrong for us to watch people die.  I took the kids to school.
  • I was surprised how quiet it was without any air traffic.  I knew we  lived in the air path of one of the Bay Area airports, because we could see planes all the time, but I had never noticed the noise.  
  • I wanted to go home.
  • On Saturday we went to the Oakland Temple.  There were flags on every over pass.  There were rental cars with license plates from all over the country, they were people trying to get home.  The temple was busy and I was grateful to be there.  I felt like I was home.
  • We went to the first A's game after their brief time off.  Before the game, a huge flag was presented by members of the armed services.  I remember looking at my boys and knowing that they would all be affected by a war soon to come.  
  • It has been 10 years and I have seen many changes in this country.   We can never go back, but we can never stop trying to make it better.  

No comments: