Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Lincoln and King

We are on a road trip. Sunday, St. Louis and Springfield Illinois,  Wednesday,  Gettysburg.  I was touched by how Lincoln carried the burden of the civil war. While at the museum I read the Gettysburg Address.  It is short and to the point. All people need to be free and our nation needs to be unified.



By pure coincidence, the book I am reading is set in the Civil Rights era and I read Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech last night. It's message is the same.  


As I walked a trail in Gettysburg this morning I was enjoying the beauty and serenity of this sleepy valley.  For 3 days men disrupted this Valley with cannons and gunfire and death.  All in the name of freeing slaves and unifying the nation. 

I don't think I have ever thought about slavery at this level. It was/is of the Devil. I feel like good men were deceived and could no longer see the light. I can't help but wonder how many good people there are today who have been deceived and can no longer see the light.

God Bless us all to love each other and make peace with ourselves and others.


No comments: