Sunday, October 8, 2017

Parents

I just finished a wild week getting ready for and having parent teacher conferences.
As a parent, I was not always so happy to go to these things.
Teachers would always say, "You must talk about some interesting things around the dinner table!"
or "They are so good at math, Wes must teach them math all the time."
The reality was, I asked them if they did their homework everyday.
They were smarter than us.
They talked about football or baseball all the time.
And Wes did not have private math lessons with the kids.
Sometimes I would come home from conferences feeling like a failure.

It is a different to sit on the other side of the table.
There was some bad news to deliver, mostly about bad behavior.
There was some good news to deliver, mostly about good behavior.
There was plenty of laughter.
My favorite thing to hear from a parent was that they loved to come to school.
And even better..." They come home singing your songs." or
 "You should hear them sing in the shower."

All in all, I make an effort not to make the parent feel bad.
I always thank them for their hard work and for reading to them. 

Life should be good when you are 5.  

Kinder is the Best!


No comments: